As a result of the Covid-19 crisis we have developed a detailed ‘Site Review and Risk Evaluation’ process to be carried out on every site, whether in progress, to be re-opened or a new site to be started. The review includes an evaluation of every task and operation to check that it can be carried out safely in line with the guidance contained in the ‘Construction Leadership Council - Site Operating Procedures for Covid-19’, for example:
• Does the task involve working within 2m of colleagues?
• Can the task be modified to allow 2m working?
• Can the task still be carried out safely?
• Are there any requirements for plant modifications to plant, including trials or testing, to satisfy the 2m distancing rule?
• If the 2m distancing rule is not achievable, what special measures are put in place e.g. special PPE, physical partitions or screens.
A review of Drilling Rig Operations in our Ground Engineering Division identified that it would be very difficult to maintain the 2m distance between the driller and the drillers assistant particularly during changing of drill rods and drill casings without significant alteration or re-positioning of the drilling rig controls and so we have fitted Perspex screens next to the drill rig control unit thus allowing the operatives to be shielded from each other during drilling operations while still ensuring full visibility is maintained to ensure safe drilling. The screens are designed and manufactured in-house and have been fitted to our fleet of Casagrande C6 and Klemm KR 904 geotechnical drilling rigs thus ensuring we can continue to work safely on all our ground engineering sites.